This project involves construction of more than 3 miles new gravity sewers along Nuuanu
Avenue, Wyllie Street, Pali Highway, Dowsett Avenue, and several side streets (see attached
project maps). The extent of work is as follows:
- 11,000 linear feet of new sewer pipelines, ranging from 8 to 24 inches in diameter, installed by open-cut trench construction;
- 500 linear feet of new 8-inch and 12-inch diametergravity sewer pipelines;
- 6,000 linear feet of new sewer pipelines, ranging from 8 to 18 inches in diameter, installed by guided bore methods (small diameter tunneling);
- 88 new sewer manholes;
- 13 reconstructed sewer laterals;
- Multiple temporary sewer bypass systems;
- 8 water line relocations;
- 2 gas line relocations;
- 1 underground telephone line relocation; and
- Various other site work and restorations.
A combination of Guided Bore Method construction and open-cut trench methods will be used to construct the sewer systems along Pali Highway and Dowsett Avenue. Guided Bore Method construction only requires excavations at manhole locations.
Conditions along Nuuanu Avenue and Wyllie Street require open-cut trench methods for all underground construction in those areas.